A basic everyone should know. I've made this countless times altering and making variations. Currently typing this up as they are baking!
Time: 1 hour - 1 hour 30 mins
- potatoes (red if my fav)
- oil (I use canola but olive works well)
- soy sauce
- curry power & paprika (optional but if you want some extra flavoring feel free to add whatever you like)
1) Wash & peel potatoes. If I am in a rush I will leave the skin on. It gives it more of a crisp, but I feel like the skin is always dirty so I usually take it off.
2) Chop into cubes and soak in water for at least 15 minutes. If in a hurry just make sure they are rinsed until water is not cloudy with starch.
3) Pat dry with paper towels or try best to pour out all water from the potatoes.
4) Line pan with aluminum foil. This just makes the cleaning process easier and I'm lazy. You can continue without this step though.
5) Dump cubed potatoes onto pan. This recipe works the best if the potatoes are in a single layer. If not, you will just have to increase cooking time.
6) This is when I start preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
7) Season with salt and spices. I usually guess how much to add buy sprinkling enough to cover the top of them. Drizzle with soy sauce and a generous amount of oil.
8) Use a glove to mix potatoes with spices. You could of also done this mixing with the original bowl and a spoon. I just feel like a cooking glove works the best to coat things.
9) Pop that baby into the oven and bake for 50 mins (this can vary and take over an hour). If you can't tell whether it is done or not, take a piece out and do a taste test.
10) At least ONCE take the pan out and mix the potatoes around so it cooks evenly. I usually do it twice.
And voila! Delicious, soft and creamy potatoes!